Well, as Jimi Hendrix says, ‘I have.’ It looks to me like there hasn’t been a post here for two weeks. So what went wrong? Summer happened and then I:
- Thought up a lot of interesting blog posts ideas but failed to write them down. Really. I had them. Now they’re gone.
- Entertained my young adult son and his girlfriend, who we are meeting for the first time. Charming people. It makes me wish I was their age again. They don’t blog either.
- Now here is the big one: because we are moving, I went through my files, many of which, because of our frequent moves, were not very well organized. Actually a lot of them are not in file cabinets. They look like this:
- The phrase that comes to mind is: down the rabbit hole with the filing system. There are various types of papers: journals, letters, childhood papers for the kids, old tax returns, (Leo says I can toss those after 7 years, really) my clips of published work, all in magazines and newspapers, and of course, the big one:
- Writing designed to be published that isn’t or wasn’t. This is not counting my two WIP’s. This is stuff that I should have finished years ago. Two memoirs and a novel, incomplete. Multiple drafts and no system for which one is the most recent. Are there digital copies? Nooooo!!! That computer was stolen. Okay.
- “You have to let go of the past, Susan!” Leo said.
- Yes. That last one. That’s why I had to go to Bikram Yoga for five days in a row and am now on the 30 day yoga challenge. Because I have to decide if I am ever going to get the writing that I want done, done. And whether doing that would mean finishing the old manuscripts or if it would mean throwing them or at least most of them away. And if so, how.
As Captain Piccard used to say, “Suggestions?”